Insurance Office of Central Ohio
related information

More News & Articles:


Traveling North or South of the Border?

October 2010

With spring and summer plans for travel fast approaching, there are a couple of rules we need to address about your automobile coverage. Your auto insurance policy provides coverage in the United States; its territories and possessions; and Canada.

When you travel to our northern neighbor all you will need is a special Canadian non-resident insurance card. Canadian law requires you carry this with you at all times when operating a motor vehicle on Canadian highways.

Because Mexico does not fall into the territorial definition of your auto policy, things get a little more complicated. When crossing the border into Mexico, you must have insurance coverage written by a Mexican agency. Any other insurance will not be recognized.

Mexican auto insurance is available online, and in some cases, it is offered by the American Automobile Association (AAA).